Sunday, February 21, 2010

THE EYE BALL 2010

At the Gala night, due to being very emotional because of the significance of my mother having been half blind for 5 years till we finally found help for her cataracts operation, I was not able to say 100% of what I had planned to say.
This is the only reason of this blog, but also to help others in a similar situation find a solution for their difficult life because of falling down the cracks in an insurance system that doesn't allow you to find immediate cure to save your sight.

My name is Robert Mirza, my mom is the patient for whom Dr. Ou provided sight. Ten years ago, before my father passed away he told me that now it was my responsibility to take care of mom. After 5 years of despair, not knowing where to turn and after having seen several eye specialists where cash in advance was required, I contacted the United Way, with the hope of finding an organization to help restore my mother's vision. I finally came across Houston Eye Associates and their Fondation. After working with Dr. Ou and his staff extensively, they became part of our family, for they provided the light I was looking for when she was half blind due to her severe cataracts.
Before the surgery I had to explain to mom what was on TV, because she could not recognize any face, but now she is telling me who is who!
She also used to be sad an very scared of getting cut and bruised or trip and fall while doing home activities, which unfortunatelly did happen. That is no longer the case, because now she can finally see!
When I drive, she now recognizes the area where I am driving and if I take the wrong exit she knows I am lost, whereas before she didn't even notice I got lost!
Restoring the miracle of sight to my mother is something we can never forget and especially something we never thought possible because there was no way we could have afforded it. Because of being a caregiver I cannot finish my paintings to have a second income to pay for the cataract operations, there is no time left. Our basic needs are met with my 9-6 job, where I often work more than 8 hours a day for the last 8 years...
Mom has become much more independent, of course with her limitations as a 88 year old grandmother. She can read, write and communicate with friends much easier, all because of her newly restored sight. Before the operation she didn't even feel confident signing her name in the 70 Christmas cards I wrote on her behalf. And when I was begging for her to do the effort, it took her one month to write only one card.
In fact, just recently she was able to see her first great grandchild. A first we didn't think would be possible due to her loss of sight.
My mother and I are very grateful to the HEA Foundation for taking care of the costs associated with the surgery center and to Dr. Ou and his staff for donating his office and surgery time. Without their generosity, mom's sight would not have been restored.
Sight can be taken away by nature but returned by the gift of the doctor's talent, surgical skills and office time.
Mom and I will from now on create a two artists team and we will start painting together!
She stopped painting decades ago, but now, with her restored sight, the sky is the limit!
She will be another Grandma Mozes!
So, now I need to say it in the languages I speak:
Thank you very much!
Muchisimas gracias!
Tante grazie!
Merci beaucoup!
Hartelijk bedankt!
Masha danki!
Muito obrigado!

2 comments:

  1. This is very good information.i think it's useful advice. really nice blog. keep it up!!!

    - Cataract

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Myrtle. Glad that my blog was useful to you. It is very important for us to take care of our parents at their old age, to ensure they have a quality life. My mother passed away in January 2015. Since I have been a full time caregiver for the last 13 years, I was not able to comment any earlier.

    ReplyDelete